Dietary factors are well recognized contributors to common diseases, including Heart Disease, Stroke, Type 2 Diabetes and Cancer. It is a well-known fact that our diet highly impacts our overall health as well as the diseases that we deal with. Additionally, evidence suggests that a modification in lifestyle that includes diet is much more effective in prevention of most diseases, more so the lifestyle diseases. However, one diet does not fit all. Generalized dietary recommendations do not help achieve our health, weight loss and fitness goals.
Have you ever wondered why this is so?
Why do siblings sharing the same dietary habits differ in their physical appearance and general health? One may be chubby and the other with a fine built. You can attribute this difference to their genetic makeup. We are mostly aware of the fact that our genes impact our physical appearance as well as our behavior patterns. But do you know that our food preferences are also defined by our individual genes. This is because our individual genes impact our smell and taste receptors. Receptors are a variety of nerves that sends signals from the gut to the brain. Minor differences in the receptors can explain why some of us love sweet food while some others crave for salty. Our genes also impact how our body utilizes the food we eat. This is where the role of Personalized Nutrition come into play.
What is Personalized Nutrition?
Personalized nutrition is based on the fact that each individual has specific lifestyle, calorie requirement, diet preferences and nutritional goals. Personalized nutrition offers targeted nutritional advice and services to you. Because it is tailor-made for each person, it motivates us to bring about a lasting dietary behavior change that is beneficial for health. In short, personalized nutrition offers specific healthy eating guidance to us.
Who can benefit from Personalized Nutrition?
Personalized nutrition is equally useful for patients and to healthy people by offering:
- For achieving specific weight loss targets for improving health
- Eating right to prevent diseases in children whose parent(s) suffer from Diabetes, Heart Disease etc.
- Taking care of special nutritional support in pregnancy or old age
- Dietary management of people with specific diseases like Anemia, PCOD, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Hypothyroidism etc.
What is the benefit of Personalized Nutrition?
- Personalized nutrition is effective in changing long term food and eating behavior for positive health outcomes.
- Personalized nutrition is useful in disease prevention, better disease management, achieving weight loss and taking care of special nutritional needs of each person.
- Personalization of dietary recommendations increases motivation toward dietary changes.
Key points to remember
- Our food choices directly affect our health.
- Every person responds differently to the same food.
- Personalized nutrition helps you choose the foods that are right for you.